Poema de Ann Carol Duffy: PREMONITIONS



Premonitions by Carol Ann Duffy

A new poem from the poet laureate, Carol Ann Duffy, dedicated with love to the memory of UA Fanthorpe


* Carol Ann Duffy
* The Guardian, Saturday 2 May 2009


Dedicated with love to the
memory of UA Fanthorpe

We first met when your last breath
cooled in my palm like an egg;
you dead, and a thrush outside
sang it was morning.
I backed out of the room, feeling
the flowers freshen and shine in my arms.

The night before, we met again, to unsay
unbearable farewells, to see
our eyes brighten with re-strung tears.
O I had my sudden wish -
though I barely knew you -
to stand at the door of your house,
feeling my heartbeat calm,
as they carried you in, home, home and healing.
Then slow weeks, removing the wheelchair, the drugs,
the oxygen mask and tank, the commode,
the appointment cards,
until it was summer again
and I saw you open the doors to the gift of your garden.

Strange and beautiful to see
the roses close to their own premonitions,
the grass sweeten and cool and green
where a blackbird eased a worm into the lawn.
There you were,
a glass of lemony wine in each hand,
walking towards me always, your magnolia tree
marrying itself to the May air.

How you talked! And how I listened,
spellbound, humbled, daughterly,
to your tall tales, your wise words,
the joy of your accent, unenglish, dancey, humorous;
watching your ash hair flare and redden,
the loving litany of who we had been
making me place my hands in your warm hands,
younger than mine are now.
Then time only the moon. And the balm of dusk.
And you my mother.

Carol Ann Duffy was born in 1955 in Glasgow and was brought up in Stafford. She published her first poetry aged 16 and has gone on to win the National Poetry Competition as well as the Whitbread, Forward and TS Eliot prizes.




'Rose's leaves', Yanian Hinrichsen(c)Early Spring 2009

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Fusilados/as :PRESENTE

DISCUSIONES SOBRE LAS PILDORAS

PERU : STOP NEWS FUJIMORI CONDENADO.RU